Friday, December 9, 2011

A Very Vonnegut Day

A few days ago, I went walking through campus on my way to get some food. At the doors of the cafeteria was a large group of excited protesters. As I got closer, I realize it was a Fundamentalist Christian gathering, with signs everywhere saying “If you love Jesus, you will obey him!” and “YOU DESERVE HELL…but God will forgive your sins if you pray.” and so on. I thought it was actually kind of funny, seeing all of these people rioting, proclaiming their love for Jesus and the Bible. How narrow-minded and quick to judge these people seemed. Oh well, maybe I was wrong.
So as i was walking past them, someone with the likeness of a Neo-Nazi skinhead offered me a pamphlet on Fundamentalist Christianity, and said that I needed to bring Jesus into my life if I ever wanted to join God in heaven. Now, if you’ve ever worked in a produce store, or some kind of coffee shop as I have, I’m sure you’ve had countless older Asian women offer you booklets and CDs on how to be a “Good Christian”. I’d always hated that, and I’ll tell you why. I have absolutely no problem with religion, in fact, I respect the people with enough self discipline to follow it. However, I abhor those who try to shove their beliefs down other people’s throats. This being said, I decided to have a little fun with this man shoving fliers into my arms.
I looked at him, smiled, and as politely as possible told him “No thank you, I’m a
lesbian.” I wanted to see what would happen; to see whether or not he would still try to offer me “Jesus’s help” after he had just finished proclaiming that “Jesus loves all of his children”.

He spat at my feet.

So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment